How do you handle the opinions of others, especially when it’s a really human trait to care about what other people think? Having someone be on the same page as you is one of the best feelings in the world. However, it can be tiring to listen to what people think, especially if they don’t know what they’re talking about. In this handy guide, we talk about how to handle the opinions of others, and how to distinguish between whose opinions really matter. You will also learn what you can do instead of constantly worrying about what people think of you. Let’s get into it.
Questions To Ask Yourself Before You Accept People’s Opinions
Opinions are a dime a dozen, and so, before you take their opinions as fact, ask yourself these five questions. If the answer is yes, then their opinion matters.
- Are they someone whose life and work you admire? If they live their lives and handle their finances the way that you think is successful, their opinion might count for something.
- Are they a role-model and a positive influence? If their values and their work ethic is something you look up to, and the lives around them are changed for the better, then you can pay attention without worry.
- Are they someone you aspire to be like? This is the easiest gauge of whether or not you should pay attention to their opinions.
- Do they support you and inspire you to go after every opportunity for personal and professional growth? Someone who not only has your back but also encourages you to keep evolving is someone to have on your side.
- Do they have good taste? This is especially important if they’re going to give you feedback on marketing, image and branding.
People Whose Opinions Matters The Most
We live in a world where everyone has an opinion of everything, sometimes without even proper study. The key to success is knowing whose opinions to pay attention to and whom to ignore. Here’s a list of people whose opinions matter.
- People Who Have Expert Or First-Hand Knowledge
There’s a reason someone is labelled an expert or a success story. It is because they know a lot about the subject, and have already walked the path you are currently on. They don’t have all the answers, but they have very valuable insights and will have guidance for you to help you on your way to success.
- People Who Have Your Best Interests At Heart
Pay attention to people who encourage you to improve and find success. People can love you and still have no idea what they’re talking about. So, look for people who not only love you, but also have your happiness and success as a priority. These are people who are honest with you even if it’s a hard pill to swallow.
- People Whose Opinion Matters The Most – You
The most important opinion of them all is yours. You know what goes on behind the scenes, you know all of the trainings you attend, everything you read and do to better yourself. When you work hard day and night, you are your only witness. Trust that you know what you are doing and that your opinion matters above all else.
You will find it easy to handle the opinions of others as long as you are well and truly yourself. Trust yourself and be your best self. Pretending to be someone you’re not just to impress someone else is going to be stifling. Although caring about other people’s opinions is a human trait, channel that energy instead to being the best version of you. And remember, if they’re not paying your bills, pay them no mind.